Friday, January 26, 2007

Climbing on my Soapbox

Well, here I go, climbing on my soapbox for the first time.

My mom works in a large pet superstore. She often brings me to work with her. We like our job most of the time. We get to talk to a lot of different people, and meet some nice (and some not so nice) dogs. Every once in a while, we talk to someone that really gets our dander up.

Why do some people get dogs? Why do people get the dogs they get? What was the mother of four unruly boys thinking, when she bought that Chocolate Lab puppy, and why didn't she think the puppy needed a crate or a training class? When we saw the lady again several months later, the puppy was about seven months old, very big, overweight, and dragging one of the boys through the parking lot. The mother said the dog was chewing up everything, still not potty trained, and she was thinking of giving the puppy up for adoption. Still, she didn't consider signing up for a training class. What did she think? The dog was going to magically become good? It just doesn't work that way.

What about the people that came in the store with a three week old Pitt Bull puppy? Don't they know that a puppy needs to be with it's mom and it's littermates until it is at least eight weeks old? Don't they care? Why don't people think a little bit more before they decide to get a dog? Maybe there wouldn't be so many of us in shelters if humans used their brains (which are supposed to be much bigger than dog's brains). A little common sense and a training class or two, or three, would save so many of us from shelters and sometimes death.

Off my soapbox, but still on my High Horse!
Zip

1 comment:

Ms. Roo said...

Ahhh Zip,
You have seen such awful things in your life!
I am awed by your strength to deal with these "people" day after day, and continue to try and make just one of them a good person who will do right by the dog they brought into thier lives!
I can not believe that a 3wk old puppy was taken from its mother ... I love my mother, and I needed her even after I was 8wks old she taught me some really important lessons.
I know I don't know alot about the world, and my mommy has already told me that I will never ever know some of the things my friends do, I have puppy friends that are so hard and scared already, or have to live through scary shelters or bad 2 leggers .. but I would like to suggest that when 2 leggers bring a dog to the shelter that they are the ones put in the shelter .. not the dogs!!
Love you Zip .. stay strong
your adoreing Ms. Roo