Saturday, March 10, 2007

Spaying and Neutering

Well, I suppose I am back on my high horse on top of my soapbox again.
My good friend Kinka got spayed yesterday. This is a good thing. I wish more people would believe that.
I've mentioned before that my mom and I work at a pet superstore, as dog trainers. We meet many people every day, and also many dogs. What amazes me is how many dogs are still intact. We hear many stories why. My favorite is the one about how they think they have a wonderful dog, and want to breed him or her, to produce a puppy just like the original dog. Another good one is that they feel that every dog should be bred at least once. Or those people that get a purebred dog at a pet shop, then want to make puppies, so they will get some money from their investment. Never mind that the dog might be an unknown mix, with no traceable parentage, or that the structure is bad, or they have an overbite, or they have seizures, or a very bad temperament. Don't they know how many unwanted puppies end up in shelters? Don't they know how many dogs are euthanized every year?
They don't understand how hard some breeders work to make sure they produce only healthy puppies (right Jen?). They don't understand about Baer testing, or OFA X-rays for hips, or CERF tests for eyesight. They don't understand that they could lose the female and the puppies, if the pregnancy gets complicated.
Thank goodness for the responsible people that breed responsibly. Thank goodness for responsible people that will spay and neuter their dogs. Spayed or neutered dogs have a longer life expectancy. They will never get uterine cancer or testicular cancer. The incidence of mammary cancer goes way down in spayed females. Also they never have heat cycles or false pregnancies. Neutered males don't feel the need to roam looking for females. They don't lift their legs on everything, and have milder temperaments.
I am neutered, and look what a great dog I am! Humble, too.

2 comments:

Kinka said...

Hear Hear!

Yup! I got spayed on Friday morning, and I was a little sleepy on Saturday, but by Sunday, I went for a nice leash walk at the lake with the mommas, and now, Monday morning, I feel fine! All systems go - nothing to it but to do it!

with hugs and a prickly belly in your face....
Kinka the Tattooed Heathen

Ms. Roo said...

You go Zip!!!
I love you all the more for this post!!!
I am not spayed and wont be getting spayed for awhile..because I am a pure ACD with papers and everything, and momma b is showing me in conformation..BOREING.. and they have rules that I can not be spayed.
IF I prove to be good enough in my health testing, conformation, herdiing agility and lots of other stuff AND my Grandma Jen thinks its a good idea, I may have puppy's.
This is many many years down the road since I am only 6mos old, but sometimes Momma B has scary dreams that something might happen to me.
My brother Jager who does not have all my fancy paperwork is neutered.
My sister Luna who could (might) have all the fancy paperwork but has bad conformation is spayed as well.
I love you for telling everybody about spaying and neutering it is very important .. and I am VERY proud of my sister Kinka for being spayed like a good girl!
Love you, Roo